God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.1 Corinthians 1:9
O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you, my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. Psalm 63:1, 73:25
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
‘I will bring him near and he will come close to me, for who is he who will devote himself to be close to me?’ declares the LORD. – Jeremiah 29:13, 30:21
Loving, knowing and living Jesus Christ hinges on our personal devotion to Jesus. There is no other way to know God personally than through intimate fellowship with God, as worked by the Holy Spirit. The depth of divine revelations received about God depends on the depth of our relationship with God. We want to avoid at all cost the religious trap of only knowing God intellectually. Merely knowing God at a theological reasoning level – or emotional hype level – will never allow us to enjoy and experience God in Person. Therefore it is crucial that we should know how to live in intimate fellowship with God. Our Holy Spirit implemented relationship with God should include:
- Fully setting our hearts – and daily living – to love, to know, and to live God through the Holy Spirit and Holy Scripture. The Holy Spirit reveals God to us, brings us to God, and keeps us in close connection with God. The Holy Spirit uses God’s Word and work of Christ as the infallible and firm foundation on which all our engagements with God Father, Son and Spirit are built.
- Our mutual relationship between God and us is wholly dependent on Jesus and based on Jesus. All of it is based and built on grace! By grace God connects us to Himself and works our close connection to Him. See John 14:6; Ephesians 3:12; Luke 10:38-42; 1 John 5:11, 20-21; Colossians 3:4,11; Jeremiah 24:7, 32:39; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; Philippians 1:6,21, 2:13; Romans 11:36.
- Evermore learning about God’s love and ever living in God’s love. God’s love is the engine of our relationship with God. God’s fellowship with us is fueled by the Holy Spirit as He establishes us in God’s love, ensures that we reciprocate God’s love, and spreads God’s love through us. Loving God through the Holy Spirit means loving God with all our heart, mind, soul, strength, possessions, time, money – everything! Loving God includes presenting our all to Him and putting our full focus on Him. Loving God involves making our choices in line with His Word and will as we faithfully obey God. Loving God means making it our highest priority to love, to know, and to live God. Absolute devotion to God self is the essence of true Christianity. Ephesians 3:1621; John 17:26; Jeremiah 24:7, 32:38-41; Romans 5:5, 8:4; Philippians 2:13 / Mark 12:30.
- Prime and focus time spend with God. There is no substitute for quality time and quantity time spent together with God alone. Lovingly, attentively spend with God in the Word of God. Ever in fellowship with God based on absolute dependence, adoration, joyful assurance, and prayer. We should not be legalistic or ritualistic about how we spend time with God. As long as it is sufficient, set aside, God-focus time. In addition, let us not forget that we are in God’s presence all the time. By faith we can ‘switch to God’ anytime throughout the day.
- Constant, honest and open communication with God (called prayer). Loving communication with
God is the sharing of our heart and mind with God. Prayer involves presenting our daily living to God as He presents His divine Life to us and through us. True communication includes listening and speaking. Mutual communication between God and us is based on love and is implemented by the Holy Spirit. Loving communion with God can involve the Word of God, prayer, singing, praise, meditation, worship, fellowship with believers, thoughts set on God, Godly teachings, reading Godly literature, writing to God, God’s creation, relationships, and daily situations.
- Trusting God totally. Our relationship with God must be built on complete and absolute trust. Wholly relying on God for everything all the time. Fully taking God at His Word. Staking all of us on all of Him. Trusting that the Holy Spirit will work our loving, knowing and living Christ Jesus.
- Obedience to God. Our Holy Spirit generated obedience to God ensures that we operate in unison with God. Our Holy Spirit based obedience is the channel through which God’s purposes are enacted for us and through us. Holy Spirit worked obedience through faith results in the application of Christ self is the All and in all of our living. Please take note that God’s required level of obedience can only be achieved through the Holy Spirit by grace and faith! God came to live in us precisely because God’s holy will and work can only be accomplished by God self.
- Fully embracing the cross of Christ – where we also died to sin, died to self, died to religion, and died to the world. Sin, self, religious fervor, and worldly ways always take us away from God. Therefore God has freed us from these fellowship spoiling evils by having crucified us in Christ. Living in true, Holy Spirit level fellowship with God requires a lifestyle of being dead to sin; of being dead to self; of being dead to religion/law; of being dead to worldliness – and alive to Christ is all and is in all. Not sin, but Christ! Nothing of self, but all of Christ! Not law or religion, but Christ self! Not the world or its ways, but Christ self! Matthew 10:37-39; Mark 8:34-36; Galatians 2:20, 6:14-16; Romans 6:2-14, 7:4-6; Colossians 2:6-12, 3:3-4,11,17, 1:27-28.
- Other elements of a prosperous, grace based relationship with God include total dependency, joyous expectation in God, humility, faithfulness, and thankfulness in all circumstances.
- Every relationship between God and each of His individual children is unique. Let us not fall into the comparing and competing trap. Let us simply relax and enjoy our unique, Holy Spirit built and Holy Scripture based fellowship with God. Let us rest and rejoice in God’s loving fellowship!